Charlotte’s birthday was a day to remember. You can read all about it HERE. It was a celebration of our family and a giant party to celebrate the fact we survived 365 days as first time parents.
One of the questions I get asked the most when I mention that my daughter is a year-old is; what are some great first birthday gift ideas? My favorite gifts for Charlotte were the ones that were personalized, unique or perfect for her developmental stage. Here are my 5 favorite first birthday gifts.
- A personalized book. Hands-down, Charlotte’s favorite toys are books. She’ll pick one out of her vast library and flip the pages, pointing to the pictures. It’s the cutest thing ever! As you may know, I’m quite the bookworm (see my current reading list here), so I’m thrilled that Charlotte is following in my footsteps. For Christmas this year, my parents made her a customized book and it’s adorable. Charlotte’s name and our family’s names are peppered through the book, and the main characters are bears – how perfect! (My husband’s nickname is Bear, and we’ve become known as the Bear family – mama, papa, baby).
- An engraved baby bracelet. Is there anything cuter than a baby girl wearing jewelry? My mother-in-law gifted Charlotte with a beautiful engraved baby bracelet that I can’t wait for her to wear. Her little wrists are still a bit skinny, and she still chews on everything, so I may hold off for a bit, but I love the heirloom feeling of it.
- Baby’s first bicycle. Of course my summer baby had to have a bike to ride. One is a great time to introduce baby to bicycle. My brother, the biking aficionado, picked the Little Tikes Ride ‘N Learn because it’s a 3-in-1 that converts as your baby grows. Plus, there’s a removable and adjustable waist bar (that keeps baby on the bike) and a foot rest so they can learn to pedal and steer while feeling secure.
- Baby’s first year photo album. Bubbie for the win! My mom loves created photo albums (she made our engagement album, and wedding album because I never got around to doing it!). She decided to surprise us for Charlotte’s birthday with a highlight reel of the last year. She told me the hardest part was narrowing down the pictures. There are so many different companies that do this, but you can’t go wrong with Shutterfly.
- A wildlife adoption. For the baby who has everything, I love the idea of donating something in their honor. Charlotte is obsessed with animals, so the WWF was the perfect place to donate. They even have “adoption” packages that come with a stuffed animal. I was at a bday party for Chalotte’s bff Evelyn and she received the Caribou
Honorable mention goes to this great idea from my friend Samantha. For Father’s Day, she created a custom book for her daughter that featured pictures and names of the most important people in her daughter’s life.